The location of the stables started as a pack station in the mid 1940's and was the first operation in Alpine Meadows, then known as Deer Park. Hunters would gather their supplies and pack up their horses for heading into what now is Granite Chief Wilderness. Alpine Meadows Stables was purchased by the Courtney Family in 1967.
Today, they keep the tradition alive by offering scenic guided horseback trail rides through National Forest and Wilderness lands.
Alpine Meadows Stables offers scenic 1-hour, 2-hour, or half-day tours through Tahoe National Forest on gentle horses with experienced guides, daily from Memorial weekend to early October, by reservation.